Flossing is a tricky task, and it’s only beneficial if you do it the right way. Do you know if you floss correctly? If not, we are here to help you! If you do the following five things, you will be improving your oral health and properly cleaning your smile:
1. Break off about 18 inches of floss and wind most of it around one of your middle fingers. Then, wind the remaining floss around the middle finger on your opposite hand. This finger will wind and hold the floss that has already been used.
2. Hold the floss firmly between your thumbs and forefingers.
3. Gently slide the floss between two of your teeth. Use a gentle rubbing motion and never snap the floss into the gums.
4. As you floss around the gum line, curve the floss into a “C” shape and rub it against one tooth. Gently slide the floss between the tooth and gums, cleaning the area and freeing the plaque from the surface of the tooth. Do this with the other side as well.
5. Rub the side of each tooth using up and down motions and repeat this technique between each tooth.
Now remember to use a clean section of floss between each tooth. If you don’t, you will be using dirty floss, which will make your smile dirtier instead of cleaner. If you aren’t sure which type of floss to use, test waxed and unwaxed floss to see which product is best for you and your smile. Both products will clean your smile perfectly.
If you would like to know more about flossing, call our office today. We want you to have the healthiest smile possible, and we look forward to helping you!